PRINCETON JUNCTION, N.J., April 1, 2020 – EMV 3-D Secure (3DS) has been a prominent topic in the card-not-present (CNP) payments space as a solution for authenticating consumers during transactions. With EMV 3DS implementations now underway, the U.S. Payments Forum released a white paper to provide a primer on the EMV 3DS protocol, its features and the data and transaction process.
Download the white paper, “EMV® 3-D Secure,” at https://www.uspaymentsforum.org/emv-3-d-secure/.
“EMV 3-D Secure provides a risk-based model for customer authentication with a significantly improved customer experience compared to previous 3DS versions. It also extends capabilities to mobile transactions in addition to web,” said Randy Vanderhoof, director of the U.S. Payments Forum. “This white paper will give merchants and issuers a better understanding of what EMV 3DS is and how it can help reduce fraud in the payments ecosystem.”
- Provides a timeline on the development of the 3DS protocol and differentiates between previous and current versions of the protocol
- Explains the benefits of EMV 3DS
- Defines terminology commonly associated with EMV 3DS
- Discusses the latest improvements and attributes of the 3DS protocol, including enhancing the customer experience, providing universal device support, allowing greater data sharing and supporting added elements to meet regulations for strong customer authentication
- Outlines the transaction flow with EMV 3DS
The white paper was developed by the Forum’s CNP Fraud Working Committee, which focuses on best practices to mitigate CNP and other fraud. Additional information about EMV 3DS is available in the U.S. Payments Forum webinar recording on EMV 3DS data elements, available at https://www.uspaymentsforum.org/emv-3-d-secure-data-elements-webinar/.
About the U.S. Payments Forum
The U.S. Payments Forum is a cross-industry body focused on supporting the introduction and implementation of new and emerging technologies that protect the security of, and enhance opportunities for payment transactions within the U.S. The Forum is the only non-profit organization whose membership includes the whole payments ecosystem, ensuring that all stakeholders have the opportunity to coordinate, cooperate on, and have a voice in the future of the U.S. payments industry.
Montner Tech PR